Study abroad program
Study abroad conditions, timeframe, etc.
|Title||"A bridge for the international community"|
|Study abroad goals||
Experience an extensive range of Japanese culture, have an interest in the tradition, and gain understanding through school life and extracurricular activities.
Learn communication, presentation, and composition skills with a focus on practical Japanese language ability ⇒ Develop abilities for sitting the Japanese Language Proficiency Test.
Personally experience cultural differences and develop an international sensibility and manners through homestay.
Grow into an exceptional person with Japanese language abilities and cultural understanding; a person who can respect others, and contribute to international peace in the future.
① Applicants who will be older than 15 and younger than 19 at the time of departure, and who are in good physical, mental, and social standing.
② All Nationals with an adequate skill set of the English Langauge. (Currently, children of nationals from English speaking countries who reside in Japan are permitted to apply.)
③ Applicants who have their guardian's consent and a reference from their head of school. (Both guardian's consent and a reference are required.)
④ Applicants who have an interest in Japanese culture, a desire to actively participate in life in Japan, and who can abide by the rules of the school and homestay.
⑤ Applicants who wish to use their Japanese language ability for international activities in the future.
① First term: May to July
② Second term: September to November
* We accept any desired period of study from 1 month to 3 months. Please indicate your desired month of study
Enroll in a first or second-year high school class, following the same schedule (morning assembly, final assembly, LHR, etc.) as Kenmei Academy students. Attending classes, focusing mainly on general practical lessons, as well as additional special programs (cultural experience, Japanese Language Proficiency Test strategies, etc.) Participation in twice-monthly extracurricular programs that provide an opportunity to experience Japanese culture.
Study Japanese history first hand
Study Japanese history in depth as you visit scenic and historical sites in Kyoto, Nara, Osaka, and other areas.
FrequencyScheduled twice a month (every second Saturday).
- Learn a variety of useful everyday expressions while watching anime and reading manga!
- Understand the beauty of Japanese characters and learn their history as you experience Japanese calligraphy!
- Experience Japan's traditional martial arts and learn about how Japanese people value connections. Learn how martial arts developed to not only train you physically, but also mentally in respect for your opponents!
- Tea ceremony
- Sen no Rikyū achieved greatness in tea ceremony in Sakai. Experience the unique Japanese culture of mental discipline by learning how to make tea and serve guests!
- Character study
- Learn to write the kanji needed to pass the Japanese Language Proficiency Test N4 and above, paying attention to stroke order, size, and shape.
- Speech practice
- Summarize the differences between your own country and Japan that you have discovered through your life and studies in Japan and deliver a presentation to other students!
- Read library books about topics of interest and summarize your impressions!
Strengthen reading and listening abilities in order to pass the Japanese Language Proficiency Test levels N4-N3.
- ・Able to read and understand written material with specific content about everyday topics.
- ・Able to grasp and understand the main idea of information from recourses like newspaper headlines or the morning news.
- ・Able to understand the main points of somewhat difficult sentences found in everyday situations if alternative expressions are provided.
- ・Able to understand specific content as well as the relationships between the speakers when listening to coherent conversations spoken at near natural speed in everyday situations.
- Physical education
- Experience a variety of individual and team sport activities played in Japan!
- Understand Japanese sounds and words while studying Japan's songs and musical instruments!
Students also participate in chorus practice.
- English conversation
- Speak English as well as Japanese and practice speaking in different languages!
- Home economics
- Understand Japanese life with a focus on Japan's food culture, and try your own handmade Japanese food!
- Comprehensive learning
- Pick up various topics in each lesson, summarize ideas, and learn to understand and engage with others!
- Home room
- Students discuss, plan, and implement preparation for school activities as needed.
- Traditional culture
- Learn about the concepts of "wabi" and "sabi" that are important to Japanese people, and understand traditional manners and ways to connect with others!
- Learn about the characteristics of Japanese fine arts through painting, sculpture, and other artistic works!
Important points about studying abroad
- ・Kenmei Academy is a Catholic mission school. This school values prayer, and we ask that students also respect prayer time.
- ・Sharing time with others and stopping to greet one another is as a sign of respect and is a custom at our school. It may be sometimes difficult to do this on a daily basis, but we ask that you remain aware of this special custom. We also ask you to please wear your school uniform from your school in your home country.
- ・We generally ask that students eat lunch in the classroom with their classmates. Food such as lunch boxes, bread, ramen, and curry and rice, can be bought at the school. Drinks can also be purchased from the vending machines.
- ・Please travel to school with the other students from your homestay each morning.
- ・In Japan, you must wear different shoes indoors and outdoors. Please wear athletic shoes that can be worn during outdoor physical education classes to school. Please also bring shoes to wear inside the school. You must also bring your gym uniform on days when you have physical education classes. (Please check your class timetable.)
- ・Using cell phones, cameras, or eating during class is not permitted.
- ・Please participate with everyone else in the cleaning of the school at the end of the school day.
- ・Please travel home with the other students from your homestay. Please confirm where you will meet up with the other students.
- ・Please be proactive about participating in any clubs you have an interest in.
- ・You will spend three months at your homestay. All homestays are the homes of Kenmei Academy students. Be sure to be proactive in speaking Japanese. Please be aware that each house has their own rules, so make sure to confirm the rules if you are ever unsure and to abide by them. Remember, you are a guest in their home.
- ・Expenses other than meals and accommodation costs are at cost price. The arrangements will vary between households, so please abide by them.
- ・Your passport is your most important item for identifying yourself. Please be sure to store it locked in your suitcase.
- ・Please inform your host family of any dietary restrictions or other allergies at the start of your stay.
Items to bring
- ・Bag, indoor shoes, writing tools, gym uniform (for physical education classes), camera (not to be used in class), necessary cash, name tag (your name in katakana), health insurance card (in case of emergency)
Study abroad program
- ・You will enter a first or second-year high school class. In addition to attending standard lessons for your enrolled class, you will also take part in special classes for international students. (International students participate in special classes during the end of term tests and seminar periods.)
- ・On your first day you will go with your buddy to each class and introduce yourself.
- ・You will spend morning assembly, lunch, cleaning, and final assembly with your class.
- ・A welcome ceremony will be held at the first all-school morning assembly at the start of school.
- ・The greatest purpose of this study program is cultural exchange. We will make time for you to introduce your country's culture, so please prepare a presentation of around 30 minutes on this subject before you start at school.
- ・You will participate in cooking activities, so please be sure to inform us in detail of any allergies or other requirements.
- ・We will hold a farewell ceremony and present a certificate of completion at the end of the program.